Happy start of the summer! Be safe, have fun, and look for periodic NewsFlashes during the summer months.
End of Year Gift for Mr. Charles – Collecting Until Tomorrow
Our wonderful crossing guard, Mr. Charles, was in a car accident and has been in the hospital this week. He is getting stronger every day and plans to be at school on Friday morning to say bye to the kids and wish them a great summer. We would like to thank Mr. Charles for keeping our kids safe this year by giving him a Visa gift card. If you would like to donate toward this gift, you are welcome to Venmo Ashley Jones (@ashleytjones76) or pay cash to Ashley Jones (see envelope in Ms. Burston office). Ashley will collect money through Thursday morning.
School supply pre-ordering open now
Take advantage of school supply pre-ordering now and save yourself some time in August! Just go to https://www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks/ and use ID code JOY014. If you’re able to order an extra pack, just put “donation” in the name fields and the PTA will make sure it goes to a Joyner student in need. All supply orders must be placed in advance — no supply packs will be sold at school this fall. Pre-ordered supply packs will be delivered to the school and waiting for you at the beginning of the school year.
Fifth Grade Graduation Details
Attention parents of fifth graders! Here’s your end-of-school check list:
- Fifth Grade Graduation will be held tomorrow:
- 8:15-8:50 am: Graduates and their families (no Joyner siblings, please) are invited for a pre-program reception in the cafeteria. Light refreshments will be served.
- 9 am: Graduation Celebration outside in the carpool loop
- 11 am-1 pm: Celebration lunch in the carpool loop. Pizza lunch will be provided for 5th graders, and slices for family members who pre-order and pay using the form that went home in backpacks at the end of last week.
- Kick-ball game (fifth graders vs. teachers) will be Friday.
- Please have your child wear his or her 5th grade t-shirt.
- Graduation Party at North Hills Club on Friday evening, June 8, is FREE and open to all JYJ 5th graders! Click here for information in Spanish.
- RSVP to email@example.com
- 7 pm – 9 pm. Please drop off your child at 7:00 and pick him/her up promptly at 9:00.
- North Hills Club Ballroom, 4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Light refreshments, dressy casual attire, DJ with age-appropriate music
- Chaperones will be in attendance
- No swimming allowed; No siblings
The letter that came home a couple weeks ago also included information on how to donate to the Fifth Grade Class Gift to Joyner, which will be a station to fill water bottles attached to the water fountain on the fifth grade hall.
Summer Fun with Joyner Families!
Meet Us at the Library
Join us at the library this summer to see Joyner friends, check out some books and READ! Summer reading meet-ups at the Cameron Village Library are scheduled for 5:30 pm on the following Mondays:
- June 18
- July 16
- August 13
Summer Play Time at the Park
Come join the fun on Thursday, July 26 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Shelter 4 at Pullen Park. This will be a time to connect over the summer for play time and to meet new JYJ families. Please bring a picnic dinner for your family if you would like. The shelter has two grills available for use overlooking the playground and train area. Outdoor games to play with others are welcome as well. We are excited to spend some summer time together before we start our next fabulous school year! Hope to see you all there. Contact Meredith Swindell, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about play time at the park.
Summer Camp Update
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer’s STEAM, art and PE camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3 and Aug 6-10, with the following exceptions:
- PE Camp is full the week of August 6-10.
- Art Camp is full the week of August 6-10 for the older group (3rd-6th grade); there is still space for the younger group (K-2nd grade).
To download the registration form, click here.
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering half-day kindergarten readiness camps June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form.
Lunch and Learn: What Every Parent Needs to Know About…
… Starting Kindergarten!
On June 14, Dr. MariaRosa Rangel will address the most common parent and child concerns about the big move to kindergarten and set parents up for success in supporting their student.
Location: NCPTA Headquarters, 3501 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27612
Lunch will be provided. There is limited seating for the Lunch and Learn Series so register today!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- June 7: 5th grade graduation events, 8:15 am – 1 pm
- June 8: Last day of school and 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game
- June 18: Cameron Village Library Meet-up, 5:30 pm
- July 16: Cameron Village Library Meet-up, 5:30 pm
- July 26: Play time at Pullen Park, 5-7 pm at Shelter 4
- August 13: Cameron Village Library Meet-up, 5:30 pm
- August 27: First day of school
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.