This Week’s News Flash:
- Learner Profile Trait of the Month, “Thinkers”
- Joyner’s New Selfie Spot
- Science Olympiad
- BackPack Buddies Program
- PTA No Fuss Fundaiser
- Friendly Reminders
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar.Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Learner Profile Trait for September: “Thinkers”As an IB PYP School (International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme), we are dedicated to modeling and teaching the learner profile supported by the attitudes of the profile. The learner profile is a “broad range of human capacities and responsibilities that go beyond academic success.” (IBO) The ten universal values develop lifelong learners and internationally minded citizens. Our trait for September is “Thinkers”. We use critical and creative thinking skills to analyze and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions. Through the IB Learner Profile we strive to be Inquirers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers, Communicators, Principled, Open-Minded, Caring, Risk-Takers, Balanced, and Reflective. These are the day to day attitudes we use: appreciation, commitment, confidence, cooperation, creativity, curiosity, empathy, enthusiasm, independence, integrity, respect, and tolerance. Questions? Contact Sheryl Davis, M.Ed, Joyner’s Magnet Coordinator, Instructional Facilitator
Check Out Joyner’s New Selfie Spot: IBelieve I Can FlyOur IB Priorities help all of our students take wing and now they can literally. Check out the new IB Selfie Spot in the front hallway; courtesy of the tremendous artistic talent of Joyner Mom Denise Hughes, and funded by the PTA Cultural Arts Committee. As a committee we felt strongly that no one better exemplifies the true spirit of our IB traits than each and every one of our students so we created wings that can be worn by all students. On your way in to school, see if you and your student(s) can find this month’s IB trait of the month: Thinkers on our mural!
On Open House night, please stop by the Overhang to join the Science Olympiad team for Family Science Night. We will be ready with an Explorers Guide for each family. Have fun building and exploring science with our family friendly science events and games. Complete your Explorers Guide to earn a cool science prize! The fun begins at 4:45 pm under the Overhang. Questions? Contact Kara Cypher.
Support Joyner’s BackPack Buddies Program
We need your help to fill hungry bellies through Joyner’s BackPack Buddies Program! BackPack Buddies provides weekend meals for kids who might not otherwise have enough food at home over the weekend. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle delivers non-perishable food to our school, which is packed into bags by our volunteers and distributed discreetly to the kids on Fridays. It costs $365 per child to send home an assortment of food each and every weekend.
Consider donating (any amount) towards Joyner’s Backpack Buddies program this year! Your gift is tax-deductible and you’ll receive a donation letter from Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. Checks may also be sent to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle (1001 Blair Drive, Raleigh NC 27603) with JYJ BackPack Buddies in the subject line. Our program is solely funded through donations like yours and the funds need to be raised up front to determine how many children may participate in the program. Consider a donation today. Interested in volunteering with our BackPack Buddies team? Email Marisa Bryant for more information. Thank you for your support! 2019-20 BackPack Buddies Program Chairs, Mary Beth Laws, Marisa Bryant & Anne Reed
Show your family’s Joyner pride with Joyner t-shirts! Jagwear order forms have been sent home or order online at https://jyj.memberhub.store/. Orders are due (paid in full to Joyner PTA) on September 27th. This year we have a new softer style T-shirt and a Joyner string bag! Email Susie Petretich with any questions.
Join the PTA and Give to the No Fuss Fundraiser
We invite all families (and friends) to join the Joyner PTA and make a donation to the No Fuss campaign at the same time! The annual No Fuss Fundraiser allows the PTA to retain 100% of the money raised to support all of the PTA programs for your children. Check with your employer to see if there is a matching donation program.
Your total dues payment (including school, state and national memberships) is $5, but we hope you’ll donate whatever amount you can beyond that to support PTA programming at Joyner. Both your dues and your donation are 100% tax deductible. Just make one donation for any amount from $5 to $5,000 (or beyond!) to cover both your PTA membership and your fundraising gift. You can join/give online at (https://jyj.memberhub.store/) or download the paper forms (in English and Spanish) from the Files section of MemberHub.
- WCPSS Volunteer Registration – Interested in volunteering or chaperoning a field trip this year? If so, you must complete the required Volunteer Registration by Oct. 30th from a WCPSS computer. Feel free to visit Joyner’s media center in the morning or afternoon to complete your registration by the 10/30 deadline.
- Fall TEK Club registrations went home Wednesday, Sept. 11th! Registration forms and descriptions may be found here. Registration will be held Thursday, Sept. 19th (see form for details). Please contact TEK with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbook Needs Your Pictures! Every child loves to see their funny faces and smiles in the JYJ Yearbook! Help us yearlong by sending in your pictures from JYJ events to the yearbook team at email@example.com and send as actual size. Let’s see those first day of school, meet the teacher and bus stop fun photos start rolling in!
- Sept. 26: Open House, 5 p.m. session 5:00 p.m, PTA General Meeting 5:45 p.m., session 6:15 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Teacher Workday
- Oct. 7: Fall Picture Day
- Oct. 18: Joyner Jamboree
- Oct. 31: Teacher Workday
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.