This Week’s News Flash:
- Joyner’s Quick and Easy No Fuss Fundaiser
- TEK Club Registration
- Joyner’s Selfie Spot
- Science Olympiad
- BackPack Buddies Program
- Friendly Reminders
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar.Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Thank you Joyner Families!
We had so much fun with all our friends and family at the JYJ Skate party last week. What an amazing turnout! A big shout out goes to United Skates of America who generously donated 100% of admission from the event to the Joyner PTA. Not only did we get to spend a fun night with our Joyner community, we were able to raise $1,940 to benefit the school! Thank you!
Joyner PTA Membership and No Fuss Donation – Quick and Easy!
The Joyner PTA’s primary purpose is to support the Joyner staff and teachers, the students and their families. Donating to the PTA could not be easier. The NO FUSS FUNDRAISER is happening NOW! It costs $5 to join the PTA and any dollar amount over that stays right here at Joyner to fund our school. Both your dues and your donation are 100% tax deductible. Join and give online at (https://jyj.memberhub.store/) or download the paper forms (in English and Spanish) from the Files section of MemberHub. Don’t forget to check with your employer to see if there is a matching donation program. Thank you for supporting our Joyner family in your donation!
Fall TEK Club registration Thursday, Sept. 19th!
TEK Club registration is this Thursday, Sept. 19th from 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the JYJ Media center. Forms may be turned in by students or parents. Registration forms and descriptions may be found here. Please contact TEK with any questions: email@example.com.
Joyner’s Selfie Spot: IBelieve I Can FlyOur IB Priorities help all of our students take wing and now they can literally. Check out the new IB Selfie Spot in the front hallway; courtesy of the tremendous artistic talent of Joyner Mom Denise Hughes, and funded by the PTA Cultural Arts Committee. As a committee we felt strongly that no one better exemplifies the true spirit of our IB traits than each and every one of our students so we created wings that can be worn by all students. On your way in to school, see if you and your student(s) can find this month’s IB trait of the month: Thinkers on our mural! #IBelieve#JYJ @DeniseHughesArt
On Open House night, please stop by the Overhang to join the Science Olympiad team for Family Science Night. We will be ready with an Explorers Guide for each family. Have fun building and exploring science with our family friendly science events and games. Complete your Explorers Guide to earn a cool science prize! The fun begins at 4:45 pm under the Overhang. Questions? Contact Kara Cypher.
Show your family’s Joyner pride with Joyner t-shirts! Jagwear order forms have been sent home or order online at https://jyj.memberhub.store/. Orders are due (paid in full to Joyner PTA) on September 27th. This year we have a new softer style T-shirt and a Joyner string bag! Email Susie Petretich with any questions.
Support Joyner’s BackPack Buddies Program
We need your help to fill hungry bellies through Joyner’s BackPack Buddies Program! BackPack Buddies provides weekend meals for kids who might not otherwise have enough food at home over the weekend. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle delivers non-perishable food to our school, which is packed into bags by our volunteers and distributed discreetly to the kids on Fridays. It costs $365 per child to send home an assortment of food each and every weekend.
Consider donating (any amount) towards Joyner’s Backpack Buddies program this year! Your gift is tax-deductible and you’ll receive a donation letter from Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. Checks may also be sent to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle (1001 Blair Drive, Raleigh NC 27603) with JYJ BackPack Buddies in the subject line. Our program is solely funded through donations like yours and the funds need to be raised up front to determine how many children may participate in the program. Consider a donation today. Interested in volunteering with our BackPack Buddies team? Email Marisa Bryant for more information. Thank you for your support! 2019-20 BackPack Buddies Program Chairs, Mary Beth Laws, Marisa Bryant & Anne Reed
- WCPSS Volunteer Registration – Interested in volunteering or chaperoning a field trip this year? If so, you must complete the required Volunteer Registration by Oct. 30th from a WCPSS computer. Feel free to visit Joyner’s media center in the morning or afternoon to complete your registration by the 10/30 deadline.
- Girls on the Run (GOTR) 2019-2020- Registration now open for interested 3rd-5th grade girls. Season will run during the weeks of Sept 23 – Dec 9th. There is currently one team that will practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 – 4:30. The team will be capped at 18 and spots will be filled based on order of registration. If there is a waitlist, we will look at adding girls to the Tues/Thurs team or creating a Mon/Wed team. Email Shanna Schroeder or text 919.744.4915 with any questions.
- Sept. 26: Open House, 5 p.m. session 5:00 p.m, PTA General Meeting 5:45 p.m., session 6:15 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Teacher Workday
- Oct. 7: Fall Picture Day
- Oct. 18: Joyner Jamboree
- Oct. 31: Teacher Workday
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.