IB Learner Profile Trait for October … Caring.
Learners show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and in the world around us.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Volunteer and Leadership Opportunities Available
- Final days of No Fuss Fundraiser
- Jagwear Update
- Donate Your Extra Halloween Candy – Treats for Troops
- Friendly Reminders
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Great Opportunities to get involved at JYJ: Seeking Volunteers, Committee Members and Committee Chairs We are so fortunate to have willing volunteers at JYJ since all these great programs for our kids don’t just happen! We have several immediate needs – will you consider sharing your time and talents with JYJ?
Science Go Round Volunteers – JYJ’s annual Science Go Round is coming Friday, Nov. 8th! This fun-filled day of scientists and parents giving hands-on-demonstrations to our students has been a long standing tradition at our school. Will you consider volunteering your time and/or food donation? Click here to learn more and find out how you can get involved.
Co-Chair of Science Go Round for next year; the Science Go Round team needs help now to shadow for next year. Contact Katie Cavillo to learn more.
Co-Chairs and committee members for the upcoming 2020 5K. Contact Tiffany Chenery for more information.
Media Center Volunteers – 3-5 needed each week to help check-in and put away books in the media center. Contact Katie Catlin or Ms. Hale to learn more.
No Fuss Fundraiser … Have You Given Yet? JYJ is extremely grateful for the support received in our No Fuss Fundraiser. Take this quick and easy step to join us in meeting (and exceeding our goal of $25k!) to ensure JYJ has the resources it needs to deliver all the great programming, technology and events we have come to know and love! Click here to donate today and thank you for your continued support of JYJ!
Thank you to everyone who purchased Jagwear! We had a very successful sale this year. The printer is still working on our order and we hope to send items home with students the second week of November.
Donate Your Extra Halloween Candy!
Treats for Troops is a Halloween candy collection program – we’ll collect excess Halloween candy and send it to service members and veterans. This week and next Jackie Jones is collecting the candy every morning at the school entrance between 8:00-8:30 a.m – look out for the big orange box!
- Deadline is this Wednesday 10/30 to complete your WCPSS Volunteer Registration and required for all those interested in volunteering with the school this year – that includes all activities like field trips, classroom support, etc. Visit Joyner’s media center to complete this important quick and easy process.
- Yearbook Cover Design Contest – Submit your Joyner themed covers to your teacher or front office by Tuesday, Nov. 19th. JYJ staff will vote and the winner will be announced in mid December. Requirements for entry are the following:
- Must be in color
- Must be 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper
- Must be in portrait orientation (landscape will be not be accepted)
- Oct. 30: Spirit Week: “Woke Up Like This Wednesday”
- Oct. 30: Deadline to Register as WCPSS Volunteer
- Oct. 31: Spirit Week: Wear Fall Colors
- Oct. 31: Make-up Day for Students and Staff
- Nov. 1: Teacher Workday
- Nov. 8: Science Go Round
- Nov. 14: JYJ Foundation’s “Gym Jam” (held during recess for all students to participate)
- Nov. 19: Yearbook Cover Contest Submissions are Due
- Nov. 20: JYJ “Dine Out” Fundraiser – Panera North Hills
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.