IB Learner Profile Trait for February: BalancedWe understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live. How do you balance everything in your life? At home? At school? In the community?
This Week’s News Flash:
- Teacher Appreciation Day – Feb. 14th
- Love the Bus Week
- WAKE Up and Read – Final Days for Donations
- Neighbor to Neighbor – Be A Mentor
- School Closed next Monday & Tuesday
- Sky Zone Spirit Night – Feb. 28th
- Summer Camp Links
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Teacher Appreciation Feb. 14th – “Thanks for giving all your HEART”
Let’s shower our teachers with love for Teacher Appreciation Day this Friday, Feb. 14th.
Parent Suggestions: favorite candy, flowers, handwritten note telling your teacher what you LOVE about them.
Love the Bus Week, Feb. 10-14thWe greatly appreciate our bus drivers each and every day. We know you appreciate them, too. That’s why we hope you will take an active part in the state’s “Love the Bus” celebration the week of February 10-14. Bus drivers work hard to ensure that more than 70,000 students are delivered to and from school safely every day. They are the first WCPSS employee our bus riders see in the morning and the last they see in the afternoon. Please share a kind word or even Valentine’s Day cards with your bus drivers during Love the Bus week. Thanks for your support!
Don’t forget to bring those new and gently used books this week
WAKE Up And Read
This is our final week for WAKE Up and Read. Our last day for book collection is this Friday, Feb. 14th. Thanks so much to all who have donated – this makes such a positive impact on children birth to 12 years old across Wake County. Box donations are also welcome. We thank you for your support!
Neighbor to Neighbor
Be a weekly mentor to Joyner kids at N2N! Neighbor to Neighbor (or N2N) is a community outreach organization in Southeast Raleigh. Not only is N2N a partner of Joyner Elementary; N2N serves many members of our Joyner family. N2N has a full waitlist of Joyner kids who needs mentors. It’s not a big commitment: 4:30-5:30 or 5:45-6:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evening. To sign up, complete the short form. For more information, contact Pat Dawson at 919-618-8119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clothing Donations Requested
Our JYJ health room is in desperate need of new girl leggings and/or boys sweatpants in neutral colors (black, navy or grey). All sizes needed. Please bring items to Elizabeth Ferriter in the front office.
Long Weekend Ahead
Don’t forget, there will be no school for students on Monday, 2/17 (Presidents Day) or Tuesday, 2/18 (Teacher Workday).
Sky Zone Spirit Night
Please join us for our next spirit night at Sky Zone Raleigh on February 28th from 4:00 – 8:00pm. Jump to your heart’s delight with your Joyner buddies while supporting our school. Sky Zone will even have the Xbox eSports Gaming Lounge open for us as well. Tickets will go on sale the week of the event, so please stay tuned. The cost per jumper is 1 hour for $13 or 3 hours for $20. Sky Zone is donating 20% of the proceeds from our event back to the Joyner Foundation. We hope to see you there!
Links to Summer Camp Options:
- PE, Art and Chemistry Camps – Click here for full details and registration form. Dates available in July and August. Led by Poyer (PE), Fotta (Art), Cameron (Chemistry).
- First Grade Refresher and Kindergarten Readiness – Click here for details. Contact Kate Johnson for more information: email@example.com or 919-757-4892.
These camps are open to the public – spread the word to others you know who may have interest.
- Feb. 11: PTA Board Meeting, 7:30 a.m.
- Feb. 12: TEK Clubs Begin
- Feb. 14: Teacher Appreciation Day, “Thanks for giving all your HEART”
- Feb. 17: School Closed, President’s Day
- Feb. 18: School Closed, Teacher Workday
- Feb. 26: New Magnet Family Welcome
- Feb. 28: Spirit Night, Sky Zone 4-8 p.m.
- March 19: Curriculum Night
- March 31: JYJ Dine Out and Spirit Night at Firenza Pizza, 5-9 p.m.
- April 23: Student Led Conferences
- April 25: Joyner 5K, 3:00 p.m.
- April 30: Joyner Foundation Spring Party, 7:30 p.m. (Venue: Whitaker & Atlantic)
- May 14: Night of Nonsense
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.